All of us love our hair, don’t we? A sleek high-ponytail makes us feel like we can take over the world, whereas soft, romantic waves can transform us into a Disney princess!
But there are some days when your hair has a mind of its own. And that’s when you need a mousse.
Especially for curly/ wavy haired beauties, a mousse can be your holy grail to tame those unruly tresses.
However, finding the right mousse for your cur type can be quite a task. While those with dead straight hair would want a volumizing formula, curly hair needs something that can fight frizz and hydrate their locks.
So we have listed down our favorite tried and tested hair mousse formulas to spare you the headache!
As the name suggests, the Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Frizz-Free Curl Mousse is filled with all the goodness you need for nourished, bouncy curls. The formula contains coconut oil to boost moisture and prevent breakage.
It also contains silk protein for luster, and neem oil for controlling frizz. On top of that, it does not contain any sulfate, parabens, phthalates, and paraffin.
It is also free from any artificial fragrance or color. So rest assured, your hair is in good hands. We recommend this mousee, especially for those with thick hair so you never have a bad hair day!
- Contains natural ingredients like coconut oil, hibiscus extracts, silk protein, and neem oil
- Free from chemicals, artificial color, and fragrance
- Prevents hair breakage
- Hydrating and moisturizing formula
- A lot of product is needed for a small section of hair
The alcohol-free formula of Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Mousse will bless your tresses with extra definition and an overall oomph factor!
The foamy texture is neither too greasy nor too dry, which makes it a mandatory haircare product for humid days.
The anti-frizz complex and light conditioners provide super-soft and shiny curls that will remain touchable all day long.
Just one or two (depending on hair length and volume) pumps of the mousse will give you salon-quality, gorgeous curls while maintaining the softness.
The Captivating Curls Mousse will especially work wonders on very thick, long, unmanageable curly hair.
- Adds definition and shine
- Does not dry out hair, makes them soft to touch
- Does not contain alcohol
- Eliminates frizz
- Long-lasting hold
- Using too much of the product can result in crunchiness
The vibrant green and purple packaging of the Garnier Fructis Style Curl Construct Creation Mousse isn’t the only aspect that makes it stand out.
It is one of the few hair mousses from a drugstore brand that provides great results at an affordable price.
This styling mousse creates effortlessly defined curls without feeling too heavy or sticky.
You’ll be surprised at how long the hold and shine last without leaving any residue. Lastly, this mousse smells heavenly, so that’s a plus if you don’t have any issues with fragranced products.
- No stickiness and buildup
- Long-lasting curls guaranteed!
- Garnier Fructis’ signature fragrance
- Frizz control
- Suitable for all types of hair textures
- May cause dryness in certain hair types
- Contains silicone and parabens
The Carols Daughter Hair Milk Styling Foam is the perfect conditioning formula with those with tight curls and coarse hair texture.
It is free from parabens, synthetic colors, mineral oil, and petrolatum and jam-packed with natural, enriching ingredients. While honey extract delivers a non-sticky, natural-looking volume, rosemary extracts hydrate each hair strand.
Moreover, it even contains agave nectar, chamomile, and vitamin E— all of which will protect all types of curly hair without leaving any stickiness. Your hair will thank you for all the care and nourishment.
- Does not contain any parabens, synthetic colors, mineral oil, and petrolatum
- Deep conditions, prevents frizz
- Contains Vitamin E, honey and rosemary extract
- Perfect for styling wavy/ curly hair with rollers, crimpers, knots, etc.
- Does not flake
- May cause dryness or stickiness
The Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Boosting Mousse will not just protect your curls but also your hair color.
The formula is strong enough to secure your waves while combating humid weather but also gentle enough for daily use.
This lightweight mousse is perfect for revitalizing fine, lifeless hair as it won’t weigh down your mane and make them look fuller and shinier.
All you need is two pumps of the product on damp hair and voila… your well-defined, luscious locks are ready to make heads turn!
- Lightweight and gentle formula
- Highly recommended for fine hair and loose curls
- pH balanced
- Safe for dyed hair
- No parabens, silicones or colorants
- Value for money
- Not recommended for coarse hair
The DevaCurl Frizz-free Volumizing Foam brings the best of both worlds as it caters to the needs of both, wavy, and curly hair.
It not only defines and moisturizes each curl and enhances hair volume, which is the top requirement for very fine hair.
The mousse is in the form of a lightweight foam which contains the goodness of lemongrass and sunflower. Moreover, the formula does not include alcohol, parabens, sulfates, and silicone, so you don’t have to worry about your hair getting deep-fried with chemicals.
It may be a bit on the pricier side but the results will end up making this hair mousse a must-have in your haircare routine.
- Controls frizz, adds shine and definition
- Suitable for wavy and curly hair
- Does not contain parabens, sulfates, alcohol, and silicone
- Delivers the freshness of lemongrass and sunflower
- May not be suitable for heavy and thick hair
The L’Oreal Paris Hair Care Advanced Hairstyle Boost It Volume Inject Mousse stays true to its name as it enhances hair volume. The thickening agents in this aerated mousse keep your hair feeling ‘alive’ and looking dense for 24 hours straight! It injects each hair strand with extra volume while maintaining its softness. Even for those with straight and flat hair, this mousse is like a dream come true. Just apply a small scoop of the product on damp hair and say hello to luscious locks that look and smell amazing!
- Value for money
- Volumizing formula
- Does not cause dryness and greasiness
- Long-lasting effect
- Highly recommended for very fine hair texture, suitable for straight hair too
- May leave a white residue
- Contains chemicals like sulfate and alcohol
If you worry about keeping your hair intact throughout long working hours, the R+Co Aircraft Pomade Mousse is your savior.
A cruelty-free product that does not contain any chemicals, this formula is enriched with neem oil and papaya extract that produces a healthy bounce while increasing the moisture content.
Although it is recommended for curly and wavy hair, if you have straight hair and want to try out a messy bun or braid, this mousse will help you achieve the effortless look.
The cruelty-free formula also contains ingredients like tea tree oil, lemon, eucalyptus, green tea, etc. which will further enhance hair luster.
- Does not contain gluten, parabens, sulfates, mineral oils, etc.
- Long-lasting hold
- Enhances volume and shine
- Contains amber, tea tree oil, lemon, green tea, eucalyptus, tangerine, and tree moss
- Dispenser is not user-friendly
Looking for a lightweight yet effective hair mousse that is also easy on the budget? The Aussie Headstrong Volume Mousse is your best bet.
This hair mousse is recommended for all hair types— curly, wavy, and even straight. Just a small amount can amplify your hair volume and create stylish hairdos that won’t budge. It is also loved by curly-haired beauties for defrizzing their hair.
All this without the usual stickiness and residue that most hair mousses produce.
However, using the product for long hours can cause dryness so you might want to condition your hair regularly.
- Value for money
- Enhances volume and eliminates frizz
- Suitable for all hair types
- Does not leave any residue
- Lightweight texture
- Great for keeping hairstyles intact
- Can cause dryness if used for long hours
This hairstyling mousse by TRESemmé will not only make your natural waves look stunning but also acts as a heat protectant if you wish to style your hair.
The lightweight formula provides definition and volume to any hair type or hairdo without making it look greasy and tacky. The affordable hair mousse also ensures that your hair remains soft to touch.
If you struggle with baby hair and flyaways that seem to have a mind of their own, this mousse will tame them too. Moreover, the TRESemmé Extra Hold Mousse is an alcohol-free formula that won’t dry out your hair.
- Affordable product to get salon-quality results
- Manages stray hairs as well
- Adds volume and definition
- Maintains hair’s natural softness
- Alcohol-free formula
- Using the product for long hours may cause dryness
- Effect does not last long
Things to Consider while buying a Mousse
1. Different mousse for different hair types: A hair mousse can work differently for different hair types. So steer clear from alcoholic formulas if you have dry hair. For oily hair, make sure the mousse does not cause any greasiness.
2. Mousse vs Gel: Opt for mousse over gel if you’re looking for a natural look. Moreover, hair mousse will not make your hair look sticky and greasy like most hair gels do.
3. Then and Now: Hair mousse was ditched in the past because the formula wasn’t as well developed and people didn’t know how to use it efficiently. The ingredients used in hair mousses now are poles apart from the ones used in the 80s. So no, your hairdo won’t end up looking like a bird’s nest!
4. Lighter than most hair products: Most hair mousses feel like whipped cream when it comes to texture so they are lightweight. The product won’t weigh your hair down. Voluminous hair? Check!
5. Tendency to Dry out Hair: Because of the ‘airy’ texture, a hair mousse may not be the best option for dry hair, unless it is a conditioning foam.
6. High Humidity takes a toll: A majority of hair mousses are also infamous for not being able to withstand high humidity.
Of course, curly hair may look amazing but those who have been blessed (or doomed?) with this hair type know how high maintenance it is.
But getting the right mousse can make hair styling a smooth sail without having to bother with frizz, stray hairs, and greasiness.
So make sure you check out our list of top 10 hair mousse for curly/ wavy hair and choose the best one for you according to your hair type, hair needs, and budget.